Sunday, August 3, 2008

Yankee Stadium 8-2-08

The Cathedral of Baseball, The House that Ruth Built, The Home of Mickey Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra and many of my childhood memories ... We went to the game at Yankee Stadium today with my sister Shari and her son Tyler. She got us the company tickets which saved us a large sum of money (Thank you Shari). As an added treat, it was Old Timers Day (unplanned ... I didn't know about it until last Wednesday). We got to see many of the Yankees of my youth. The only disappointment, we didn't get to see Monument Park. The line was at least 2 hours long.

The game was great. The Yankees needed a win vs. the LA Angels and got it winning 8-2. Four Yankee home runs and great pitching by Mike Mussina were the keys to the game. Here's a link the the box score:
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_08_02_anamlb_nyamlb_1&mode=wrap

I have been spoiled by all the great stadiums we've seen. Yankee Stadium is old, the promenades are narrow, the seats are uncomfortable, and the Jumbotron is old. There is still the view of the courthouse and the greenest grass I've ever seen. New Yankee Stadium is almost finished (and easily seen from our seats) and not a moment too soon. Here's a link to our pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14772189@N03/sets/

The hot dog was very disappointing. I remembered it as being the best tasting hot dog in the world. However, I've clearly been spoiled. While it had a good flavor, it was wrapped, not fresh off the grill, the mustard was in packets and NO TOPPINGS! A "6". Even worse, the beer was warm. Nancy was not happy.

The good news ... I got a Yankee golf shirt. On to a bar-b-que at Abbe's house (my other sister)today and it's Shea Stadium and the Mets on Tuesday.

No comments: