Friday, August 8, 2008

Florida Marlins @ Philadelphia Phillies 8-7-08

Citizens Bank Park is one of the nicest stadiums we've been to. It's definitely a candidate for the top 5. It's very much like San Francisco's stadium with a view of the Philadelphia sky line instead of the San Francisco Bay. The promenades are wide, there are lots of food choices, and the lines were short. The rest rooms are pristine. The only downside to the stadium is the traffic exiting the parking lot. As I type this (Nancy is driving), we've been in traffic for 30 minutes and we're less than a mile from the stadium.

The Marlins and the Phillies played a day game today. Nancy and I drove from my parents house in Lakewood, NJ (about 1.5 hrs away) We got a late start so we were in a bit of a rush. We got to the stadium at 12:30pm, about 30 minutes before game time. Parking was easy. We found reasonably close, reasonably cheap ($10) parking and rushed to buy the tickets. I assumed that tickets wouldn't be an issue since it was a day game ... and I was wrong. We later heard they had the 3rd largest crowd in their history (45,000+). The ticket booth guy said they were sold out. I had a moment of panic until I turned away and heard a scalper offering tickets. I didn't have the cash for his primo seats. He asked me how much I was willing to spend. "$75," I replied since that's all the cash I had. He sold me one $50 seat in the Hall of Fame Club (like the 4192 Club in Cincinnati) and one upper level seat ($24) for my $75. I figured I could just show my one Hall of Fame Club ticket and get both of us in. One of the benefits of being old and having gray hair is they assume you're honest. HAH! We walked into the Hall of Fame Club and went to my seat. There were enough open seats so that Nancy and I sat together the whole game. We sat right behind home plate and sat in the most comfortable, padded stadium seats ever. Here's a link to our pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/14772189@N03/sets/

As for the game, the Marlins won 3-0. The Marlins hit just enough and the Phillies just didn't hit. There were a few good plays, but all-in-all, not a great game. It was, however, a gorgeous day. Here's a link to the box score: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2008_08_07_flomlb_phimlb_1&mode=wrap

The Italian Sausage I had was tasty ... lots of peppers and onions and decent mustard. However, NO SAUERKRAUT and too much of a stale bun. I gave it a generous "8". Nancy liked her Bud Light so much, she went back for another (and got a Flying Club Pale Ale instead which she also liked).

Overall, it was a great day. Tomorrow, it's on to Baltimore. 26 stadiums down and 4 to go.

No comments: