Monday, September 1, 2008

Summary of East Coast Trip 9/2/08

Sorry it has taken me so long to post the East Coast trip summary. After visiting the 7 East Coast stadiums, we spent a week at the Jersey Shore (Brigantine -- an island just north of Atlantic City) and I wasn't going to waste valuable beach time writing my blog. Then, when we got back to Cincinnati, I had to take care of some overdue bills (We were gone a month and Clermont County Water and Duke Energy were threatening to shut off our water and electric), see my dentist, participate in my Fantasy Football draft, play some golf and see some of my P&G buddies to catch up on the latest gossip/info. I lead such a busy life!

This trip seemed so short after driving to the West Coast earlier this summer. The longest time we were in our car was 6 hours. Most of our trips were less than 3 hours. We put 3133 miles on our car. Gas was cheaper than in California ($439.96). Typical cost was $3.69 a gallon. However, NJ must have low taxes. The gas stations there were charging only $3.35 a gallon. Our hotel costs were also cheaper ($1846.96) since we stayed with friends and family for much of the trip although that was offset by our expensive week at the shore (NJ Shore Condo $1800).

Our restaurant costs were typical of our other trips ($1651.34). Museums/Activities ($258.74), Baseball Tickets ($1190.10), and Miscellaneous expenses ($691.71) were also on par. Groceries were a bit high ($374.84) since we spent a bunch of $$ to stock Steven's apartment with food. Our cash outlay was also high ($1460.00) given the readily available, and generally unsuccessful, gambling opportunities in Atlantic City.

General summary of things and stuff:
1) Pittsburgh is a great town. I loved the Inclines. Great food choices. Very clean. Surprising to me given the decline of the steel industry which dominated Pittsburgh industry for so long.
2) If you like horse racing, there's nothing better than Saratoga. Beautiful grounds, friendly atmosphere, and the opportunity to win a few bucks betting on the horses (note: opportunity means I didn't win).
3) Boston is a great city. While I cannot bring myself to root for the Red Sox, Fenway Park was a great experience. The city has a lot to offer ... history and great restaurants.
4) Yankee Stadium is the best, but I am biased.
5) If you love Chinese food, go to Chinatown in Flushing NY. But, you better learn Mandarin first.
6) I have made great friends in my life. It was great to see people I haven't seen in years.
7) Brigantine, NJ -- great beaches, proximity to Atlantic City, wonderful Italian food.

Songs of the Trip -- I picked two since we heard both way too many times:

"I Kissed a Girl" by Kate Perry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAp9BKosZXs

"All Summer Long" by Kid Rock (It sounds like "Werewolves of London" to me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwIGZLjugKA


Two more stadiums left. We'll be visiting Detroit and Toronto in two weeks (9/21 and 9/22). I can't believe we're almost done. I've lived with planning this trip for over 20 years. It feels like I'm losing an old friend.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am planning a trip to the east coast in april of next year. The plan is to be based in New York and travel to Boston, Baltimore and go to the two new NY ball parks. Any advice on the best way to get the tickets for the trip and what the average cost for tickets would cost me considering it will be opening week when we go?