Saturday, April 12, 2008

New Orleans 4-10-08

On the way to Houston, we stopped in New Orleans to recapture the memories of too many Mardi Gras weekends so many years ago. Nancy and I walked the French Quarter and the riverwalk. We heard some calliope music from the steamboat Natchez (I’ll bet most of you didn’t know I love calliope music – there’s just something about the sound that reminds me of summer and it’s just so light and bouncy). We stopped at Café Du Monde for coffee and beignets – the best. We then went to Pat O’Brien’s Piano, our favorite haunt during Mardi Gras. Nancy had a Hurricane; I had a Sprite (how times have changed). The old “trayman”, Eddie Gabriel, is no longer there. He passed away in 2005 at age 95. He’s been replaced by Alvin Babineau, so the tradition continues.

We then went to a new place, Café Beignet, an open air place for jazz and jambalaya and gumbo. We had a great time just sitting and listening and eating. I love New Orleans.

Here’s a link to our pictures:
http://www1.snapfish.com/photolibrary/t_=98074769

No comments: